It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and it’s definitely time to spread some Christmas Cheer! If you’re looking for a more personal touch this holiday season, why not try baking your own Christmas Plum Cakes, instead of going for a store-bought option? Thanks to this recipe by Chef Nitish Kumar Singh, of Renaissance Bengaluru Race Course Hotel, now you can become a baking hero in the kitchen!
Christmas Plum Cake
• 750 gms mixed dry fruits (raisins, black currants, cranberries, sultana, prunes, figs)
• 200 ml rum
• 1 Lemon zest
• 1 Orange zest
• 1/4 tsp clove powder
• 1/2 tsp ginger powder
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
• 50 gms tooti fruity
• 250 gms butter
• 200 gms brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 100 gms almond powder
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 4 Eggs
• Icing sugar (for decoration)
- Put all the dry fruits in a pan.
- Now add the rum and let it boil.
- Cover the pan and keep aside overnight to let it cool and the fruits to soak in brandy.
- Next morning, pre heat oven to 170 degrees. Now sift Maida, baking powder and almond powder in a bowl. Add in all the spice powders and sift again.
- In a pan, beat eggs well.
- In another deep bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together. Add lemon and orange zest.
- Add in the beaten eggs and mix everything thoroughly. Pour vanilla essence and mix again.
- Now add the sieved powder mix and whisk thoroughly. Add tooti fruity and whisk more, followed by the soaked dry fruits
- Pour some orange juice and whisk well. Now transfer the stuff in a greased pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 to 50 minutes. When the cake is cooled, drizzle icing sugar on top. Decorate it with Christmas decorations and serve.