Vermicelli Kheer Recipe
Seviyan Kheer also known as Semiya/Vermicelli Kheer is a must at any festival at our place. At home on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan/Diwali the only sweet dish that we make is this Vermicelli kheer Recipe.
1 or 1.5 cups broken Vermicelli/Seviyan/Semiya
500 ml milk
3 tbsp sugar – add more or less for your preferred sweetness
2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
4-5 green cardamom pods
7-8 roasted or fried unsalted almonds, chopped or
7-8 roasted or fried cashew nuts, chopped
2 tsp raisins or
Any dry fruits of your choice
1. Heat ghee in a pan.
2. Fry the cloves and cardamom till the release their aroma in the ghee.
3. Now add the vermicelli/seviyan and fry till they become golden brown.
4. Pour the milk and let it come to a boil.
5. Add sugar and mix well.
6. Lower the flame and let the milk simmer for 5-7 minutes till the seviyan gets cooked.
7. Lastly add chopped almonds or any dry fruits.
8. Serve the seviyan kheer hot, warm or cold.
9. If serving cold, then refrigerate the Seviyan Kheer and then serve later.
Few tips for Seviyan Kheer Recipe:
1. The recipe can be easily doubled or tripled.
2. Use good quality & fresh milk.
3. The amount of Seviyan/Vermicelli can be decreased or increased. if you add more Seviyan the consistency will be much thicker like a thick pudding. you can go for the kheer consistency as per your liking.
4. Dry fruits can be added as per your choice. you can also add some saffron or rose water to the Seviyan Kheer. I did not have any so could not add these.
5. When cooled the Vermicelli kheer tends to be thick. so If you don’t like thick Seviyan kheer then don’t thicken the milk. alternatively you can add some more milk to the Seviyan kheer.