Vegan Tips: How to make Batter without Eggs
When you deep fry your vegetables or in non-vegan cases, meat, you use traditional batter which no doubt is perfectly yummy but it does contain egg. If you’re on a vegan diet, this is a no-no. So to help you out on your choice of diet, we have come up with a few tricks to make a 100 % eggless vegan batter that is so good you won’t even know you’re missing anything!
1. The basic mixture is the same – water and flour.
2. In a bowl, add 200 g of flour and salt to taste. Now, slowly add mineral water. The batter consistency must be smooth and fluid but not liquid.
3. The batter texture should be such that it completely coats the pieces of food but the excess amount has to drip off.
4. If you want your fried food to be nice and crispy on the outside, try adding cold water or even ice! This creates a thermal shock when the batter comes in contact with oil and also ensures that the food doesn’t absorb too much oil.
5. To give more substance to the batter, you can add a teaspoon of unsweetened baking powder or 1 gram of baking soda.
6. One variation also suggests the use of of beer, which also makes fried foods tastier and gives them a characteristic flavour.