I first had spring roll dosa when my in-laws used to live in Coimbatore and we went to Dosa Plaza, a restaurant that boasts over 100 dosa varieties on their menu. I chose spring roll dosa to justify my love for Indo Chinese recipes and as the name suggests, the dish came filled with vegetable spring roll filling wrapped in a dosa. It tasted nice and I had mentally bookmarked the idea to try spring roll dosa at home.
1. Heat oil and saute the onions and garlic together until the onions turn soft.
2. Add the mixed vegetables and saute until they turn soft and have cooked through – will take about 12 mins or so.
3. Next, add the chilli sauce and soya sauce. Saute for a few more mins.
That’s it. The filling for our spring roll dosa is ready.
To make the dosa
1. Heat a pan and grease with oil. Add about 3/4 cup of dosa batter and spread into a thick-ish dosa. Don’t make it too thin because that would make the dosa crisp and it’ll break as you roll the dosa.
2. Drizzle a few drops of oil and cook covered on a low flame until the top of the dosa is cooked.
3. Layer some of the spring roll filling in a line in the centre of the dosa
4. Gently fold from both sides into a roll.
5. Transfer to a plate and proceed with the rest of the dosas until done
Optional: run a pizza cutter through the dosas diagonally and slice into pieces
Serve the veg spring roll dosa hot and immediately