Papdi is an indispensable ingredient when it comes to street food. Dahi papdi, papdi chaat, sev puri and many more street delights would be incomplete without this salty deep fried food item. Use this recipe to make yourself delicious crunchy papdis anytime.
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 10 min | Total Time: 25 min
1 cup all purpose flour
¾ tsp ajwain
1 tsp sooji/rava
1 tbsp oil or ghee
Salt to taste
A pinch of baking soda
Oil for frying
- In a bowl, mix together ghee and baking soda.
- Then add maida, sooji, ajwain, salt and knead into a firm but smooth dough adding little water at intervals. Keep it covered.
- After 10 minutes, roll it out into a big circle dusting a little flour over it.
- Using a fork, prick holes all over the circle to prevent the poori from puffing while frying.
- Then cut it into small circles using a bottle cap or cookie cutter. Remove the extra dough from the sides of the circles, knead again and repeat the same process. Keep all the circles ready in a plate dusted with flour.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the in batches until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and transfer to a colander to drain excess oil.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the papdis.
- After it cools, store in an airtight container.