Mangoes With Toxic Chemicals Found In Mumbai
A raid conducted by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) at the APMC market in Vashi, Mumbai found mangoes which were ripened using harmful chemicals report DNA India. Sample in the form of 109 dozen mangoes were taken from the market to check the presence of the chemicals.
Chemically Ripened Mangoes
The report further says that the presence of harmful chemicals used to ripen fruit can cause dizziness, headache, skin burn, allergy, vomiting, and diarrhoea. “Fresh Mango is known to be the king of all fruits. Chemically treated mangoes should not be consumed as instead of benefitting to our body, they will do more harm. A chemically treated mango will irritate our stomach lining and also disturb normal digestion. It can produce many biochemical reactions as rashes, diarrhoea, and abdominal distention. Also, nutrients get lost due to this. A person can develop colitis, intestinal irritation, throat irritation, and acidity because of such fruits,” Dr Ushakiran Sisodia, Dietician, Nanavati Super Speciality Hospital told DNA India.
“None of the mangoes which were seized had carbon carbide, which is a toxic chemical. Ethylene chemical in certain proportion is approved by the government. If that should not be used to ripen the mango in a uniform way, the government should ban the chemical,” Sanjay Pansare, director of the mango trader association in APMC market told the publication.
To check whether or not the mangoes you’ve bought are infested with these chemicals Dr. Vinayak Sawardekar, associate professor in Grant Medical College & JJ Hospital has given a suggestion while speaking with DNA India. “Citizens can take precautions by putting the mangoes in lime water for around one to two hours before eating,” explained Sawardekar. “The case of medical reaction differs from person to person depending upon the immunity power. The carbon carbide uses to ripen mangoes can cause abdominal pain, dizziness, and vertigo to name a few. Eating such ripen mangoes for a longer time can also cause loss of memory,” he added.