In yet another shocking post that has gone viral on social media, an engineering student at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi has shared a picture of his hostel food with the corpse of a dead rat floating in coconut chutney. No, this is not a new delicacy in the Capital, but a very serious health hazard.
18-year-old Jayant Darokar found the rat in his plate on Tuesday morning at Aravali Boys Hostel. “On Tuesday morning, between 7:30 to 9:30 breakfast is served to us at the Boys Hostel mess. While we had taken our share of the food, one of the students, Jayant shrieked in terror when he found a small dead rat inside the thick white chutney in his thali,” a third year Biochemical Engineering student told The Pioneer.
According to Hindustan Times, students complained to the hostel officials after which the matter was brought to the attention of the dean students’ affairs. “We received a complaint from the students of Aravali (hostel) on Tuesday. They had found a dead rat in the breakfast. We have formed a committee to look into the lapses that lead to this problem,” said TR Sreekrishnan, dean students’ affair.
A student was quick to snap a picture and share it on Facebook. Needless to say, the image has gone viral following which the director of the institute, Ramgopal Rao, addressed the issue. “I am aware of the incident which happened in the IIT Delhi hostel related to food today. We have formed a committee of 3 wardens to investigate the matter and report to us within 48 hours,” he wrote in a Facebook post on September 26, adding “I can assure you that some people in the mess where the incident took place are going to lose their jobs”.
Well, that is comforting to learn. But what we would really like to know is just how the dead mouse ended up in the chutney. And how come no one noticed it, given the stark contrast between the rat and coconut chutney? *Pukes*
Feature Image: Collegedunia