Hostel Canteen Closed By Food Safety Dept Due To Unhygienic Conditions
The hostel canteen of St. Teresa’s College has got a notice from the Food Safety Department ordering to shut down on the basis of lack of a licence and unhygienic preparation of food. The Hindu reported that an inspection was conducted last month that found several glitches in the functioning of the canteen.
Unhygienic Conditions Of The Canteen
The inspection of the canteen by the Food Safety Department showed that the canteen did not have a licence from the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) and had been functional so far without it. There also wasn’t any medical fitness certificate of the staff that worked there nor the documents ensuring good quality drinking water.
A complaint was made to the FSSAI that there were three incidents of food poisoning in the last three months in this canteen. This complaint that also mentioned that the food was being cooked under unhygienic conditions brought the whole issue into light after which the inspection was conducted.