A Handy Guide To Which Mouldy Foods Are Okay To Eat Or To Throw Away

A Handy Guide To Which Mouldy Foods Are Okay To Eat Or To Throw Away

We’re not talking about blue cheese, which is meant to become better with growing blue moulds on it. We’re referring to the day-to-day things like bread and fruits that become mouldy and whether or not you should pick out the mould and eat it or you should immediately throw it away.

Bread

Throw it away! Mould penetrates into the bread quite easily and has a way into aerated baked products. So if only one slice is affected or a mere corner, you should actually consider throwing the whole loaf away.

Cheddar

Since cheddar is not as porous and nor are most hard cheeses, you can just scrape off the mould and chew your way into the block of cheese!

Goat Cheese

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) says that cream cheese, goat cheese and shredded cheese containing high moisture content has a chance of being contaminated below the outer surface. So throw it off at the first sign of mould and next time consider storing it in the freezer.

Vegetables

Yes, you can scrape the moulds off the vegetables like cabbage, carrots, peppers, potatoes and even apples for that matter and still consume it. That holds well until they are also smelling funny which is when it’s time to say goodbye!

Fruits

The fruits should be thrown away especially the ones with soft fleshes like peaches and tomatoes because according to the USDA, the mould can penetrate deep inside these just like bread. Many food products stay for long in the refrigerator and do not mould but some of them should not be even be in the cold environment of a fridge.

Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.