DONT MISS OUT ON FOOD, FOLLOW US
Chana Palak Recipe
Nothing sounds new about a gravy with chana and palak, right? Spoken too soon! Try out this amazingly luscious preparation of Chana Palak, and you will classify it into top class!With a completely different gravy prepared with an assortment of spices, onion paste and a special brinjal-tomato paste, this vegetable preparation has a lingering flavour and irresistible texture, which will make you want to have another serving or two for sure!Serve hot with Naan , Biryani , Phudina Raita and Gajar da Achaar for a complete meal experience.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 167
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 19g
Saturated Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 5g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrates 59g
Dietary Fiber 16g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 1/2 cups soaked and boiled kabuli chana (white chick peas)
- 1 cup chopped spinach (palak)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 cup peeled brinjal (baingan / eggplant) cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 small cinnamon (dalchini) sticks
- 2 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- salt to taste
To Be Ground Into An Onion Paste (using Little Water)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped onions
- 8 garlic (lehsun) cloves
- 2 tsp chopped ginger (adrak)
For The Garnish
- a few onion rings
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- a lemon wedge
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the brinjal pieces and cook on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the brinjal pieces turn soft, while stirring ocasionally. Sprinkle a little water if required. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the brinjal pieces and tomatoes and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tbsp oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cinnamon, cloves and prepared onion paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared brinjal-tomato purée, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the garam masala, chilli powder, dried mango powder, coriander powder, salt, kabuli chana and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with onion rings, coriander and lemon wedge.
Adapted from Tarla Dalal
Adapted from Tarla Dalal