Butterless Sponge Cake
Butter is one of the major ingredients in world cuisine. Comparatively, in North India, we see more use of butter from breakfast to dinner recipes. One of the most loved dessert types is cake which as per traditions cannot be made without butter. Butter provides that extreme softness and smoothness to a cake. But keeping in mind the current lifestyle – stress, fast food, lack of sleep, one must keep a count of the calorie intake. Therefore, today, we would share the unique recipe of a Butterless Sponge Cake! This cake is soft, tasty, fluffy, and worth enjoying in every bite.
Undoubtedly, there is a large number of benefits of butter consumption. But an excess of butter consumption may lead to the rise of bad cholesterol in the body. Remember that a single spoon of butter has 30 milligrams of cholesterol and 7 grams of saturated fat and the daily intake of saturated fat should be no more than 15 grams. So, for a healthier life, a Butterless Sponge Cake would be a wise choice.
Note the following recipe and cut out those extra calories from your enjoyable dessert.
What you Need for Butterless Sponge Cake?
- White Flour – 3/4th Cup
- Eggs – 4
- Powdered Sugar or Castor Sugar – 3/4th Cup or as per taste
- Baking Powder – 3/4th tsp
- Vanilla Essence – 3/4th tsp
- Cake Tins – 2 Round (8 inches)
- Oven Temperature – 204-degree Centigrade or 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Butter Paper
How to Make a Butterless Sponge Cake?
- Firstly, cut the butter paper as per the diameter of the cake tin and keep it inside the tin followed by greasing the tin. Sprinkle some flour/sugar over it and dust off the excess.
- Break eggs one by one in a cup and then transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Now in this mixing bowl, add vanilla essence, powdered sugar, and baking powder and beat very well. You have to keep beating until you reach a light and foamy texture.
- Now, very tactfully, you have to fold the white flour into this mixture. Don’t pour the 3/4th cup of flour all at a time. Take one tablespoon of flour with a spatula and give downward, upward, and outward strokes gently. Continue till the said amount of flour is folded well in the egg mixture.
- Divide this cake batter into two tins.
- Hollow out the center by pushing the batter from the center towards the sides. So, the cake would be thicker outside than the center.
- Place both the tins in a pre-heated oven and let it bake for at least 15-20 minutes. The Butterless Sponge Cake is almost done when you notice that the sides started to shrink from the edge of the tin.
- Or you may try the age-old technique of inserting a skewer or knife in the center. If that is clean, the cake is done.
- Finally, cool the cakes on cooling rack and enjoy with your friends and family.
- You may add a dash of honey and treat your guests!
This recipe of Butterless Sponge Cake is easy to make and you require all easily available things. A cake is one of the best ingredients to add more happiness to most of the special occasions and festivals. So, instead of opting for the rich, creamy, or fondant cakes, you can make this cake by yourself. Stay healthy!