DONT MISS OUT ON FOOD, FOLLOW US
Dum aloo recipe
Dum Aloo Recipe
Delicious dum aloo- your ticket to Kashmir.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 244
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 28g
Saturated Fat 15g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrates 51g
Dietary Fiber 7g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 450g new potatoes, leave the skin on
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 400g chopped tomatoes
- 270ml water
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- 300ml single cream or whisked plain yoghurt
- 2 tsp honey
- Oil to deep fry the potatoes
For the spices
- ½ tsp green cardamom seeds, ground
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, ground, plus 1 extra tsp for adding at the end
- 4 dried red Kashmiri chillies, ground
- ½ tsp black cardamom seeds, ground
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Chopped coriander, ground fennel and Kashmiri chilli flakes to garnish
- Wash and soak the potatoes in cold, salted water for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry the potatoes in a large wok. Fry the potatoes until golden all over. Don’t worry about cooking them all the way through at this point. Drain on a piece of kitchen paper and set aside.
- In a large pan with a tight-fitting lid, gently heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the ground spices, tomato purée, fresh ginger and garlic. Cook on a medium/low heat for around 5 minutes, stirring all the time. If you find it’s sticking, add a little hot water and continue to cook until the water has evaporated and the spices are aromatic.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, 270ml hot water, salt and sugar. Stir. Add the potatoes and mix again.
- Cut out a round piece of grease-proof paper to cover your pan. Sit it directly on top of the curry and put a lid on top of the pan.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest it can go and cook for at least 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove the lid and paper. Turn the heat off and allow the curry to cool for 10 minutes. Add the honey and cream or yoghurt, stirring quickly and all the time until it’s fully combined. Stir in the extra 1 tsp ground fennel seeds.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander, ground fennel and Kashmiri chilli flakes.
Adapted from korasoi
Adapted from korasoi